Important: Static paths for installation files to be decommissioned
The ability for scripts to download the installers from static paths will be discontinued on October 20th, 2022. After this date, any scripts which reference these locations will no longer work. Please see our notice on this topic here.
This following information is considered accurate as of June, 2020. For more information about LabTech, contact ConnectWise.
The Cisco Umbrella roaming client can be deployed using RMM tools, such as LabTech, by applying the correct parameters as part of the install string.
Note: This document is specific to deploying the Cisco Umbrella roaming client on Windows client operating systems, such as Windows 8 or 10. Cisco does not support the installation of the Umbrella roaming client on Windows Server operating systems. For more information about prerequisites, see Prerequisites. This document assumes you've read these prerequisites and have opened the appropriate firewall ports.
The script outlined in this document is more advanced than our basic script and provides a more robust integration where you can automate the deployment of the Umbrella roaming client to managed workstations.
You must enter all customer internal domains before deploying the Umbrella roaming client. Failure to do so results in problems with accessing internal resources. In the Umbrella dashboard, navigate to Deployments > Configuration > Internal Domains and enter domains as required. For more information, see Appendix D – Internal Domains.
- Download the Umbrella roaming client script Deploy_Umbrella_Client-advanced.xml.
- In GitHub, click Raw.
- Copy and paste the displayed XML into your favorite text editor and save as an XML file.
- Import XML into LabTech:
a. In LabTech, open the LabTech Control Center, and navigate to Tools > Import > LT XML Expansion.
b. Click Yes when warned that importing items that already exist will result in them being updated.
The script is imported to the root script folder. You can move it to your preferred location.
At the Client and Computer level, the new fields appear for you to fill in with the appropriate Umbrella values. At the Client level, in order to allow the script to run, check OpenDNS_EnabledClient.
- In the MSP console, navigate to Customer Management, expand a customer, and scroll to Deployment Parameters.
Umbrella lists the organization's Org ID, Fingerprint and User ID parameters as well as Umbrella's deployment script.
- At the computer level, for scenarios which require a single workstation, or a small group, to be excluded from having the Umbrella roaming client installed, simply check the "OpenDNS_No_URC" box shown below for the appropriate computers and the Roaming Client Deployment script will exit without installing.
- In the MSP console, navigate to Customer Management, and click a customer name to open the Umbrella dashboard.
- In Umbrella, navigate to Deployments > Core Identities > Roaming Computers.
- Search for the individual host names where the script should have been run.
If the computer is checking in properly, you’ll notice a green status icon.
Updated about a month ago