Important: Static paths for installation files to be decommissioned
The ability for scripts to download the installers from static paths will be discontinued on October 20th, 2022. After this date, any scripts which reference these locations will no longer work. Please see our notice on this topic here.
The Cisco Umbrella roaming client can be deployed using RMM tools, such as N-able, by applying the correct deployment parameters as part of the install string.
Note: This document is specific to deploying the Umbrella roaming client on Windows client operating systems; for example, Windows 8 or 10. Cisco does not support the installation of the Umbrella roaming client on Windows Server operating systems. For more information about prerequisites, see Prerequisites. This document assumes you've read these prerequisites and have opened the appropriate firewall ports.
You must enter all customer internal domains before deploying the Umbrella roaming client. Failure to do so results in problems with accessing internal resources. In the Umbrella dashboard, navigate to Deployments > Configuration > Internal Domains and enter domains as required. For more information, see Appendix D – Internal Domains.
- Download the Umbrella roaming client script UmbrellaRoamingClient-install.amp.
- In GitHub, click Raw.
- Copy and paste the displayed XML into your favorite text editor and save as an AMP file.
- Import the AMP file into into N-able:
a. In N-able, at the Service Organization (SO) level, navigate to Configuration > Scheduled Tasks > Script/Software Repository and choose Add > Automation Policy.
c. Upload the AMP file and click OK.
- To schedule the Automation Policy:
a. Navigate to the appropriate customer and choose Actions > Run an Automation Policy.
b. Select OpenDNS Deploy and you will see the screen below.
c. Add deployment parameters from the MSP console.
Note: We recommend using the LocalSystem credentials as shown below.
Note: This script will exit if a Windows Server operating system is detected, as it is not supported.
By default, this install will hide the Add/Remove Programs entry, as well as the Windows system tray icon.
- In the MSP console, navigate to Customer Management, expand a customer, and scroll to Deployment Parameters.
Umbrella lists the organization's Org ID, Fingerprint and User ID parameters as well as Umbrella's deployment script.
- Select the target workstations to install the Umbrella roaming client on.
- After you've selected your workstations to deploy the Umbrella roaming client to, set the schedule. The Umbrella roaming client will auto-update, you can use a one-time schedule since. In N-able, you have the option to run the task later on offline workstations.
- In the MSP console, navigate to Customer Management, and click a customer name to open the Umbrella dashboard.
- In Umbrella, navigate to Deployments > Core Identities > Roaming Computers.
- Search for the individual host names where the script should have been run.
If the computer is checking in properly, you’ll notice a green status icon.
Updated about a month ago