As of version 1.6.10 (macOS) and 1.6.29 (Windows) of the Cisco Umbrella roaming client, Support now has the ability to enable enhanced logging and diagnostics for troubleshooting purposes. Specifically, this means that if a Support ticket has been opened, the Umbrella roaming client has the ability to:
- Automatically send Umbrella roaming client logs to the Umbrella service for review by qualified Support engineers.
- Provide Support with the ability to modify the verbosity of those logs.
- Provide Support with the ability to remotely trigger the Diagnostic Tool and gather results.
This feature is off by default and is only enabled during the lifetime of a Support ticket, or if the customer indicates they would like to this turned on indefinitely for monitoring of sporadic issues. At the customer's request, this can be disabled, but will greatly hamper Support's ability to troubleshoot issues with the Umbrella roaming client.
The objective of adding in the ability to collect logs and diagnostics automatically is to alleviate the need to communicate with an end-user experiencing unexpected behavior and also provide the ability to work directly with the customer's technical contact in order to solve problems quickly and effectively. It also prevents the need for continual customer action if we should need to gather several instances of diagnostic results or log data.
Absolutely none of this information is shared outside the purpose of troubleshooting. This information will never be given to third parties and exists solely for the purpose of expediting the troubleshooting process. The information is always transmitted over HTTPS and requires extra encryption measures to ensure this information is only accessible by us.
The Umbrella roaming client logs contain the following information:
- Umbrella roaming client service logs—Information pertaining to the behavior and logic of the Umbrella roaming client's actions, including state changes, errors, etc.
- HTTP Proxy information (Windows Only)—Records the user's HTTP proxy settings.
- DNS server IPs—Records the DNS servers set up for each network adapter (Static or DHCP).
The built-in diagnostic tool runs a series of tests in order to get a detailed spectrum of information so we may become familiar with the network and computer with which we are troubleshooting. The information collected is from the following tests:
- "systeminfo" output (Windows)
- System process list
- DNS lookups
- HTTP Tests
- List of all Network Adapters and connection details (ipconfig /all)
- Local firewall policy for Windows or macOS
- Routing table (netstat)
All network-based tests are targeted at Umbrella network resources. If a domain is specified in the "Domain (Optional)" field, additional tests will be run against that domain. For more information on additional switches that can be run in conjunction with the diagnostic tool, including remote execution, read Diagnostic Tool: Command-line and remote execution parameters.
If you have any questions or concerns, open a support ticket.
Appendix G – Command-Line and Customization for Installation < Appendix H – Remote Logging and Diagnostics
Updated 8 months ago