You can add a destination list to Umbrella at any time; however, a destination list does not necessarily come into effect when first created. If you add a destination list through the policy wizard, that destination list immediately becomes part of that policy and thus immediately takes effect. If you add a new destination list outside of the policy wizard, you must add it to a policy before it comes into effect.
When adding new destination lists to Umbrella, there are a few things that you should take into consideration. Allow destination lists always take precedence over block destination lists. Allow lists also take precedence over security-related blocks. Thus, if a domain is being blocked incorrectly, adding it to an allow list allows access. For example:
- Blocking domain.com and adding mail.domain.com to the Allow List will still allow mail.domain.com.
- Adding domain.com to the Allow List and blocking sub.domain.com will still allow sub.domain.com.
- Adding domain.com to a block list, and mail.domain.com to an Allow list, assuming both lists are applied to the same policy, results in Umbrella allowing access to mail.domain.com.
Always add domains in the format "domain.com" rather than www.domain.com to ensure *.domain.com is included (a wildcard is implicit). However, if you only wish to block subdomain.domain.com, then be more specific when you define the entry here.
Note: Destination lists accept domain names encoded in Punycode. For more information, see Add Punycode Domain Name to Destination List.
- Full admin access to the Umbrella dashboard. See Manage User Roles.
- Navigate to Policies > Policy Components > Destination Lists and click Add.
- Give your destination list a good descriptive name, select Blocked or Allowed, add destinations, and then click Save.
The Destination Lists page appears and is updated to now list the new destination list.
Your new list can now be added to a policy through the policy wizard. Destinations lists you add here can be added to new policies and policies that are already in use.
Updated 2 days ago